Before Submitting Your Manuscript to PMC
Depositing a manuscript though NIHMS is a multi-step process that currently takes 2 to 3 weeks to complete. Please know processing times can vary depending on how many submissions are received in a given time frame and how carefully the reviews are read.
Authors can ask the publisher to submit on their behalf. However, occasionally, an author will need to submit or assign a delegate to submit a final peer-reviewed manuscript to PMC via the NIH Manuscript Submission System (NIHMS). Authors who exercise the option to self-submit must retain the right to do so. It is important to verify that the publication will:
Before starting the submission process, ready the following:
1. Log into the NIH Manuscript Submission System (link provided below)
2. Choose "Submit New Manuscript". Review the submission overview and choose "Continue."
3. Enter the journal name and article title.
4. Enter the grant support information.
Note: You can add a grant by the grant number or via the grantees first and last name. Repeat this step for all associated grants.
5. Upload the manuscript files.
6. Designate a Reviewer and Release Delay
8. Review the submission statement and select Agree
9. You will be directed to a confirmation page after the submission is finished.
For more detailed submission directions please see the instructional resources below.