NIH Public Access Policy
The NIH Public Access Policy ensures public access to the published findings of NIH-funded research. It mandates that all investigators submit their final peer-reviewed manuscripts to PubMed Central upon acceptance for publication. In addition, the Policy also stipulates that these papers must be publicly available on PubMed Central no later than 12 months after the official publication date.
The NIH Policy applies to any manuscripts that:
- Are peer-reviewed;
- Are accepted for publication in a journal on or after April 7, 2008;
And arises from:
- Any direct funding from an NIH grant or cooperative agreement active in Fiscal Year 2008 or beyond, or;
- Any direct funding from an NIH contract signed on or after April 7, 2008, or;
- Any direct funding from the NIH Intramural Program or;
- An NIH employee.
How can the Library help?
The OHSU Library provides resources and services to assist OHSU investigators with meeting the NIH Public Access Policy requirements. Our goal is to make compliance clear and easy. Please contact the library to schedule a consultation with a librarian about any of the following topics:
♦ Guidance with compliance
♦ Presentations to department authors and staff
♦ Assistance with troubleshooting non-compliant papers
Quick Access to Key Resources
- NIHMS Deposit and Initial Approval Video TutorialThe NIH Manuscript Submission (NIHMS) procedure is thoroughly explained in this video, including how to associate funding, upload necessary files, and approve the submission for conversion to PMC-ready papers.
- NIH Manuscript Submission SystemClick here to access the NIH Manuscript Submission (NIHMS) system where you can submit manuscripts into PubMed Central (PMC).
- PubMed CentralThe U.S. National Institutes of Health's National Library of Medicine (NIH/NLM) offers a free full-text collection of biomedical and life sciences journal publications called PubMed Central® (PMC).
- PMID ConvertorIf PMCID or NIHMSID reference identifiers already exist, a PMID can be used to locate them for a citation. The PMCID Converter allows you to conduct this kind of search. Only articles with assigned PMCIDs will be returned by the converter.
- Linking Awards in My Bibliography (NCBI)eRA Commons users can link their publications to grants and awards using the My Bibliography tool.
- Last Updated: Mar 22, 2023 4:07 PM
- URL: https://libguides.ohsu.edu/NIHPAPolicy
- Print Page