NIH Data Management and Sharing Policy
The NIH Data Management and Sharing (DMS) Policy requires the following as of January 25, 2023:
- Investigators plan and budget for the managing and sharing of data.
- Investigators submit a Data Management and Sharing (DMS) Plan for review when applying for funding.
- Investigators comply with the approved DMS plan.
Learn more about what the NIH are expecting of investigators and institutions under the 2023 NIH Data Management & Sharing Policy on the NIH Scientific Data Sharing website.
Using this Guide
We have created and are actively developing this guide to walk OHSU members through the process of complying with the new NIH Data Management and Sharing Policy. An institution-wide task force is working on expanding and improving documentation and other supporting resources, including template language that investigators can include in their DMS plans. Bookmark this guide for easy access, as it will be updated frequently.
- The Writing Your Data Management Plan section describes what the NIH expects you to address and useful resources for preparing your DMSP.
- Sharing Scientific Data addresses required and encouraged practices for sharing data, including when to share data and how to choose a repository.
- Budgeting outlines what costs may be requested in a funding application, and features resources for estimating costs for preserving, archiving, and promoting acceess to data.
- Resources and Tools feature tools, documentation, educational opportunities, and services for data management and sharing available at OHSU and beyond.
Additionally, the Library hosts monthly workshops on preparing for the new NIH Data Management and Sharing Policy. The workshops are open to all OHSU members. We encourage all faculty, learners, and staff who will engage in activities related to generating, preserving, and sharing data to attend.
Quick Access to Key Resources
- NIH Scientific Data Sharing WebsiteThis website provides clear and comprehensive guidance on the NIH DMS policy and related recommended practices.
- DMPToolThe DMPTool is a free, online application that helps researchers create data management plans. It provides a click-through wizard for creating a DMP that complies with funder requirements. It also has direct links to funder websites, help text for answering questions, and resources for best practices surrounding data management.
- NIH Data Management and Sharing Plan TemplateNIH has developed an optional form that aligns with the recommended elements of a DMS Plan. We recommend using this form to write your DMSP. For each element, a description of the expected information is included.
- Sample DMS PlansNIH has published several sample DMS Plans, which provide examples for different research contexts. They are provided for educational purposes and are not intended to be used as templates. Importantly, their use does not guarantee approval by NIH.
- Monthly DMS Policy WorkshopsIn this workshop, OHSU Librarians will provide guidance on preparing to create a 1-2 page DMSP in order to comply with the new policy.
- Last Updated: May 23, 2023 3:22 PM
- URL: https://libguides.ohsu.edu/NIH_Data_Policy
- Print Page