NIH Data Management and Sharing Policy
The NIH Data Management and Sharing (DMS) Policy requires the following as of January 25, 2023:
- Investigators plan and budget for the managing and sharing of data.
- Investigators submit a Data Management and Sharing (DMS) Plan for review when applying for funding.
- Investigators comply with the approved DMS plan.
Learn more about what the NIH are expecting of investigators and institutions under the 2023 NIH Data Management & Sharing Policy on the NIH Scientific Data Sharing website.
Using this Guide
We have created and are actively developing this guide to walk OHSU members through the process of complying with the new NIH Data Management and Sharing Policy. An institution-wide task force is working on expanding and improving documentation and other supporting resources, including template language that investigators can include in their DMS plans. Bookmark this guide for easy access, as it will be updated frequently.
- The Writing Your Data Management Plan section describes what the NIH expects you to address and useful resources for preparing your DMSP.
- Sharing Scientific Data addresses required and encouraged practices for sharing data, including when to share data and how to choose a repository.
- Budgeting outlines what costs may be requested in a funding application, and features resources for estimating costs for preserving, archiving, and promoting acceess to data.
- Resources and Tools feature tools, documentation, educational opportunities, and services for data management and sharing available at OHSU and beyond.
Additionally, the Library hosts monthly workshops on preparing for the new NIH Data Management and Sharing Policy. The workshops are open to all OHSU members. We encourage all faculty, learners, and staff who will engage in activities related to generating, preserving, and sharing data to attend.
Quick Access to Key Resources
- Last Updated: Jan 27, 2023 9:51 AM
- URL: https://libguides.ohsu.edu/NIH_Data_Policy
- Print Page