EZproxy for Off-Campus Access
The EZproxy Bookmarklet is very useful if you prefer to access e-resources without needing to first visit the Library website. For example, you'd like to access full text via direct links sent to you (ex: Ovid eTOC email links) that don't have the EZproxy prepend.
- How to install EZproxy Bookmarklet?
- For Internet Explorer: right click on the button and select "Add to Favorites..." from the menu. If it asks to continue, click Yes. In the "Add a Favorite" options, choose the "Create In" drop-down menu and select "Favorites Toolbar". You can also rename the bookmarklet here if you want to. Click Add.
- For Firefox: right click on the button and select "Bookmark This Link" to add it to your bookmarks or drag the link to your Bookmarks Toolbar. If your bookmarks toolbar is hidden, go to the View menu option, select "Toolbars" and check "Bookmarks Toolbar." You can also edit and rename the bookmarklet.
- For Chrome: drag the button to your Bookmarks Bar. If your bookmarks bar is hidden, go to the View menu option and select "Always Show Bookmarks Bar". You can also edit and rename the bookmarklet.
- For Safari: drag the button to your Toolbar. If your toolbar is hidden, go to the View menu option and select "Show Toolbar". You can also edit and rename the bookmarklet.
- How to use EZproxy Bookmarklet?
Not start your search from the Library website or unable to access an e-resource from a website or a database or prompted to pay? Or if for some reason, you'd like to access full text via direct links sent to you (ex: Ovid eTOC email links) that don't have the EZproxy prepend?
- After you click on the un-proxied link, click on the EZproxy Bookmarklet. Log in if prompted. The page should then reload via EZproxy and provide you access.
- If you receive error or you still cannot get access, it may be because the OHSU Library does not have licensed access to a particular resource or has not configured the resource in EZproxy.
EZproxy Redirect for Chrome
EZproxy Redirect is a browser for Chrome users that allows you to easily reload a page through EZProxy.
- Go to the EZProxy Redirect page in the Chrome Web Store
- Click Add to Chrome.
- When prompted "Add EZProxy Redirect?" click Add extension.
A new icon named "Reload through EZproxy" should appear in Chrome's toolbar. It might initially appear in the Extensions menu (designated by a puzzle piece icon), where you can pin it to always be visible in the toolbar.
- Right-click the new icon and select Options.
- Select Oregon Health & Science University from the list of schools or manually enter "http://liboff.ohsu.edu/login?url=$@" to the EZproxy URL box and click Save.
Once the extension is installed and configured, you can click its icon at any journal article's web page to reload it through EZproxy and log in to see if you can access it via the OHSU Library.
Reload via OHSU Library for Edge and Chrome
Please note: These aren't listed on the corresponding stores at this point, so you'd have to use the direct links to get to them.
There is no configuration needed. Once the extension is installed, you can click its icon at any journal article's web page to reload it through EZproxy and log in to see if you can access it via the OHSU Library.
Ezproxy Switcher for Firefox
Ezproxy Switcher is a browser add-on for Firefox users that allows you to toggle between a normal URL and a proxied URL.
- Go to the Ezproxy Switcher page at the Firefox Browser Add-ons website.
- Click Add To Firefox.
- When prompted "Add Ezproxy Switcher?" click Add.
The add-on's icon will appear both in Firefox's address bar and toolbar.
- Right click one of the icons and select the Preferences tab.
- Enter liboff.ohsu.edu in the "Ezproxy URL box", then click Save.
Once the add-on is installed and configured, you can click it's icon at any journal article's web page to reload it through EZproxy and log in to see if you can access it via the OHSU Library. If you need an un-proxied link, click the icon again to switch it back.
Enter Proxy Info Manually
How to manually generate proxied URLs:
For example, you need to add a link of a journal article to your Sakai course site. Use this method to build your link to ensure your students can use our proxy:
- Find the persistent link you would like to use for the article, ebook, etc. (ex: Ovid eTOC email links). Note: please make sure you are using a persistent link, not a session-specific link. The "Linking to Full-Text Resources" guide has more information on how to create a persistent link.
- Copy that persistent link to notepad or any text editor.
- Add the proxy prefix "http://liboff.ohsu.edu/login?url=" to the front of that persistent link.
For example, the non-proxy link for Ovid is: http://gateway.ovid.com/autologin.html (this link would only work for on-campus access but not off-campus). To make the link works for every users no matter on or off campus, the final link with proxy prefix that you'd wanted to use would be:
Automatic Proxy Detection and Redirection with the Zotero Connector
The Zotero Connector for Chrome, Firefox or Edge, part of the Zotero citation and reference management software application, can detect when you've accessed a site through EZproxy. It will ask you if you want to remember the proxy in the future. If you agree, Zotero will then automatically use the proxy for matching URLs.
- Go to Zotero's download page and install both the Zotero desktop client and Connector for your browser
- Access biblographic databases via the OHSU Library web site
A yellow bar will appear across the top of the page when you visit library-proxied electronic resources to let you know Zotero has automatically redirected you through the proxy at liboff.ohsu.edu. You do not need to take any further action.
If you don't want a particular site proxied, for example, if the proxy is interfering with your ability to log into your My NCBI account at PubMed, click "Don't Proxy This Site".
To manually configure the proxy in Zotero Connector, please see the Proxies Preferences section of the Zotero Connector Preferences documentation for more information about changing this setting. The value you need to add in the Configured Proxies preferences is %h.liboff.ohsu.edu/%p.
- Last Updated: Oct 1, 2021 2:20 PM
- URL: https://libguides.ohsu.edu/ezproxy
- Print Page