Skip to Main Content
Importing the EAD code
The following steps will guide you to create an XML file that can be imported into Archivists' Toolkit (AT):
- Open the AS-EAD-import-template.xml file (right click to download).
- Copy the code from the third tab of the EAD Contents List Template and paste it into the .xml sheet to replace "<!-- ENTER FOLDER LIST HERE -->".
- Save the .xml file (be careful not to overwrite the template file, save as "temp-####-###-EAD.xml", or similar, where ####-### is the collection number)
- Import that file into ArchivesSpace:
- Choose from the menus Create > Background Jobs
- Job Type: Import Data
- Import Type: EAD
- Click Add file, and navigate to the temp file you just saved
- Click Queue Job, then wait as the import is processed
- Once the Import Job is complete, navigate to the new Resource File and survey the data to make sure it imported correctly
- If you need to merge these imported records with a Resource Record that already exists, see below; otherwise, enter whatever description information, notes, collection number, and access terms that need to be added to the description within AT. See the appropriate tabs in this LibGuide for the correct notes to use and for standardized wording for certain entries.
If you've already created a resource Record and now need to merge these imported files into that record, follow these steps:
- Navigate to the Resource Record you wish to use
- From the menu just above the record's title, choose Merge
- Search for the Temp Resource you recently imported and choose it
- Make sure you are on the record you want to keep, and searching for the record that will be merged INTO the master record
- Click Merge, and agree on the popup. The imported records will be merged into the master Resource Record, and then the temp file will be automatically deleted.
- Save the updated Resource Record and review it for any import errors
- Edit as needed, save before exiting