Linking to Full-Text Resources
What are persistent links?
- Web addresses that connect to a permanent location within a library database
- Stable and persistent! The web address will never change
Why persistent links?
- Copyright friendly because it is content OHSU pays for via the Library
- Easier than uploading PDFs to courses
- Students have direct access to download the PDFs
Persistent links and Sakai
- Sakai allows you to post article PDFs and their web addresses
- Posting PDFs from non-licensed journals is often violation of copyright law
- The Library recommends using persistent links to share materials via Sakai
Learn more about copyright and fair use: Columbia University's Fair Use Checklist
Making a Persistent Link from Databases
- Options for obtaining persistent links to articles vary between databases.
- The most common options are described on this page.
- Many databases provide a persistent link creation tool.
- The names of the tools vary
- Common terms to look for are "permalink", "jumpstart", "copy link" and "embed link."
- These permalinks are usually located in the same area as the options to print, save, and email.
- Databases that have persistent tools include:
- EBSCOhost (including CINAHL)
- Ovid (including PsycINFO)
- and others
Here are some examples:
Making a Persistent Link with Permanent URLs
- In some databases the URL in the address bar is a persistent link.
- In these cases, the URL plus https://login.liboff.ohsu.edu/login?url= placed at the beginning can be used as a persistent link.
- Resources that have permanent URLs in the address bar include:
- BMJ Clinical Evidence
- ClinicalKey for Nursing.
Important Note: If the words "session" or "temp" appear in a URL, it is likely NOT a persistent link: http://web.ebscohost.com/ehost/detail?vid-3&hid=111&sid-bfd697de-6231-4dd4-94df-f60c5ec41c85%40sessionmgr115&bdata-JnNpdGU9Z
Making a Persistent Link from Digital Object Identifiers (DOIs)
- DOIs are digital object identifiers.
- If a database provides a DOI for a full-text article in the item record, you can use it to make a persistent link.
- To make a persistent link from the DOI, copy the DOI and append it to this URL: https://login.liboff.ohsu.edu/login?url=http://dx.doi.org/
ScienceDirect and Wiley Online Library provide DOIs.
Here is an example:
Off-Campus Access to Library Materials
If the link does not begin with it must be added to the beginning of the link. This prefix allows access for off-campus users.
When is a link NOT a persistent link?
: If the words "session" or "temp" appear in a URL, it is likely NOT a persistent link. For example:
- Last Updated: Aug 1, 2018 11:59 AM
- URL: https://libguides.ohsu.edu/linkingtofulltext
- Print Page